Atlanta, Georgia – Content Science has released the findings from its first content operations study in four years. The research report reveals a strong correlation between content success and factors such as a clear content vision and strategy, regularly evaluating content effectiveness, and using advanced technology like artificial intelligence.
However, compared to 2017, more organizations are in the early stages of content operations maturity and not taking advantage of evidence-based success factors.
- The majority of companies are at either level 2 (piloting) or level 3 (scaling) out of 5 content operations maturity levels.
- The top three challenges to mature content operations are:
- Content strategies are not standard for the entire organization
- No direct evaluation of content effectiveness
- No clear content strategy or plan
- Organizations that report being very successful are more likely to have a clearly defined content vision.
- Very successful organizations are more than twice as likely than slightly successful ones to evaluate content impact and success regularly.
- Very successful organizations are more likely to be using ROI to evaluate content.
- The top barriers to maturing content operations are lack of communication across silos and red tape / bureaucracy.
- 73% of organizations use a content management system. 41% use specialized content technologies in addition to or instead of content management.
- 44% report personalizing the content experience for their users or customers.
- 22% use machine learning or AI for content work such as distribution and generation.
- Organizations that offer content-specific training are less likely than teams without it to experience challenges.
- The majority of content teams consist of six members or fewer and have more diverse roles compared to the 2017 study.
- Significantly more organizations have leadership roles such as content manager and director compared to the 2017 study. Some organizations have executive level content roles.
- The executive summary is freely available here.
- Content Science Review subscribers can access the full report with detailed findings and commentary from Colleen Jones as premium content here.
- Course material in our Content Leadership certification through Content Science Academy shares key facts and insights from the report.
- Our Leading Content Teams and Operations workshop will share insights from the report.
About Content Science
Content Science is an end-to-end content company that works with the world’s leading brands to close the content gap in digital business. Our solutions like CS Brain, CS Forge, and CS Lab bring together outstanding services as well as unique products like ContentWRX and Content Science Academy. We turn content insight into business impact.
For media inquiries, please send us a note.